Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Quality of hand cut dovetails...

On Mar 11, 3:57 am, "Toller" wrote:
I saw some end tables made by someone I think is a competent woodworker. He
tried to copy antiques, to the point of using draw bottom raised panels
that slide in from the back.

His half blind dovetails were not very good. There were gaps and one of the
pins was partly broken. I don't know anything about hand work, but would
consider them to be terrible if done on my omnijig. Is that considered
acceptable on hand cut dovetails, or on replica antiques?

I read about someone who had entered a reproduction of an
historic piece (a chest) in a contest and was ****ed because
he got low marks for workmanship. He had painstakingly
duplicated the poor workmanship of the original, corners
weren't square, joinery was inconsistent and so on.

So the answer to your question would depend on what quality
of antique the fellow was trying to copy.

--

FF