Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Advice on buying a ladder

Mathew Newton wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:01 pm, "Mathew Newton" wrote:

On Mar 13, 4:50 pm, wrote:

I've measured my gutters as being about 6.1 mts up. Based on a 1:4
ratio I reckon I'll need ladders at least 7.6m long. Looking at the
various websites it looks like the 7.44m long ladders will be too
small to get to the gutters & I'll have to go for the 8.94m length,
which will be heaver / more expensive / harder to store. Pls could
someone shout if I've got this wrong.

Where did your 7.6m come from?

I'm not one for advocating overdoing things on a ladder however it
sounds to me like the 7.44m will be 'plenty' big enough....

The standoff would be your contact point (just below the gutter line)
and you'd obviously want the ladders to top out slightly above the
guttering so a 7.44m max length ladder would still several rungs
overlap (and I would hope the 7.44m is the maxium safe length so you'd
be well within this).

Unless it is me that's got it wrong?

To illustrate my point, take a look at the following pic of my
ladders:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/200...s/IMG_4595.jpg

They're the 2.91m-7.44m triple ladders I mentioned earlier and as you
can see they are far from being fully extended and just about reach my
gutters which are 6m up. One or two rungs higher and you'll be well
placed for them...

What are those black things under the ladder? Reason I ask, is that I
was assisting our son, last week, while he was up my ladder and we had a
lot of difficulty getting the ladders level on the ground.

Dave