Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Advice on buying a ladder

On Mar 13, 4:50 pm, wrote:

I've measured my gutters as being about 6.1 mts up. Based on a 1:4
ratio I reckon I'll need ladders at least 7.6m long. Looking at the
various websites it looks like the 7.44m long ladders will be too
small to get to the gutters & I'll have to go for the 8.94m length,
which will be heaver / more expensive / harder to store. Pls could
someone shout if I've got this wrong.

Where did your 7.6m come from?

I'm not one for advocating overdoing things on a ladder however it
sounds to me like the 7.44m will be 'plenty' big enough....

The standoff would be your contact point (just below the gutter line)
and you'd obviously want the ladders to top out slightly above the
guttering so a 7.44m max length ladder would still several rungs
overlap (and I would hope the 7.44m is the maxium safe length so you'd
be well within this).

Unless it is me that's got it wrong?

Mathew

P.S. When climbing on to a roof you obviously need the ladder to be a
person height above to enable a side-step off whilst still holding the
ladder so if this is your intent then 7.44m might admittedly be
pushing it. For me however, the fact my ladders don't safely allow a
roof run is a good enough excuse to justify me turning down any
invites to get up there! ;-)