Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Default Dilemma with asbestos in ceiling

I imagine the only people affected by asbestos are the ones involved in
manufacture of products containing asbestos that were exposed every day over
a long period of time. Don't let your mom take such a job and she will be
fine.

cm

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
My elderly mother's house has a crumbling popcorn ceiling in her tv room.
We were informed of the danger of asbestos leakage if the ceiling is
allowed to deteriorate. I was told that a significant water leak in the
kitchen above the tv room several years ago contributed to the ceiling
damage. We were told that removal of the popcorn ceiling and the asbestos
behind it will require us to keep her out of the immediate area until the
removal and then the post-repair testing of the air is completed. This
will create a real hardship on everyone since she is a virtual shut-in and
suffers from Alzheimer's. Is there an alternative fix that is less
invasive and would prevent any leakage of asbestos into the air? I read
that one can place a layer of wallboard over the ceiling. But then it
seems that it would be extremely risky since any nails or bolts into the
ceiling could cause leakage of asbestos. Thanks for any advice or
suggestions.