Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Dilemma with asbestos in ceiling

tenplay wrote:
My elderly mother's house has a crumbling popcorn ceiling in her tv
room. We were informed of the danger of asbestos leakage if the
ceiling is allowed to deteriorate. I was told that a significant
water leak in the kitchen above the tv room several years ago
contributed to the ceiling damage. We were told that removal of the
popcorn ceiling and the asbestos behind it will require us to keep
her out of the immediate area until the removal and then the
post-repair testing of the air is completed. This will create a real
hardship on everyone since she is a virtual shut-in and suffers from
Alzheimer's. Is there an alternative fix that is less invasive and
would prevent any leakage of asbestos into the air? I read that one
can place a layer of wallboard over the ceiling. But then it seems
that it would be extremely risky since any nails or bolts into the
ceiling could cause leakage of asbestos. Thanks for any advice or
suggestions.

There has never been a case of an asbestos-related illness involving any
commercial product. This includes brake pads, insulation, paint, etc.
Further, asbestos-related illnesses take thirty or more years to manifest
themselves.

Treat the problems as if asbestos was not there. Even if it IS there, it's
not a problem.