Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Radiant "In Floor" heat question

Jimi wrote:
Hello,

I have bought a garage package (24ft x 30 ft) and plan on
putting " in floor" heat in the concrete pad. I have googled and
done several searches looking for a photo or any hand drawn examples
of how to lay the pex pipe prior to pouring the concrete. I would
like to know how to determine the diameter of pipe to lay...how far
apart to lay the pipes ...how many grids are needed?. This is a
simple heated garage...very basic, but can't find any schematic for
laying this pipe....Thanks for any help on this... Jim

Assuming you will not be spending a great deal of time in the garage,
have you considered the high cost of heating it? You have two choices, one
is to keep the heat on and the other is to heat on demand.

Full time heat is likely to end up very expensive. Do you need that?

On demand heat would be a problem with in floor heat since that concrete
floor must be heated before the garage starts to heat. You end up spending
almost as much as full time heat without the benefits and with a serious
delay between the time you call for heat and it is delivered.

Often the most practical heat in a garage is radiant heat from above.

Have you considered other than in floor heat?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit