Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default How to build pole barn workshop on unlevel site

"Reggie Burnett" wrote in message

Good question. I had planned to use a backhoe and dig a large drainage
ditch on the high side and on both sides of the structure, lay 2-3
drainage lines, and cover with rock. Still, I've been instructed by
several not to dig into the high side. Therefore, to level I would need
to bring in loads of rock and compact it.

A concrete guy today told me that he could pour a monolithic slab where
the fill material doesn't go all the way to to the low side form. The
concrete runs down into that area (all the way to the ground)
essentially making a short 2' wall there. This would be reinforced of
course. still, I'm not certain this is sound engineering.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you mean that at the low side he would
just pour deep? There would not be any structural concerns with that as
long as the base material is structural. Get rid of any organic materials.
But - that's standard operating procedure for any structural pour. I can't
see how that would possibly be cheaper than filling with gravel though.
Compare the price of a cubic yard of gravel and a cubic yard of concrete.

--

-Mike-