Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Quewtion: choosing a wire welder

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:31:02 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

I have the hankering to buy a welder, probably a wire feed type. I looked
at one on sale at "The Tractor Store". It was 110V input which is what I
want. 85 Amp output. Uses .030, 035, or 040 wire. Biggest problem I see
is that the instruction book said for metal up to 3/16'th inch. Tha'ts not
very thick, I'D prefer maybe up to 3/8'th inch, or more.

I'd really appreciate some of the features I need to look for in a wire
welder.

BTW: I don't really have a need for one, it is just one of those things I
want. I might be better off to forget it altogether.

Your thoughts please.

Bob

I had the same feeling as you and when I had a broken lever on my
clutch, I went to Sam's club and picked up the $180 110v wire welder I
had been drooling over. It was fun welding that thing back together
again and I got immediate satisfaction from my purchase.

That was 6 years ago and I've used it about 10 times. Last week I
filled in the crack in my exhaust manifold with it.

It has always been way too small for the tasks I used it for, but if
you weld smart, you can make it work.