Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay tenplay is offline

Default Dilemma with asbestos in ceiling

My elderly mother's house has a crumbling popcorn ceiling in her tv
room. We were informed of the danger of asbestos leakage if the ceiling
is allowed to deteriorate. I was told that a significant water leak in
the kitchen above the tv room several years ago contributed to the
ceiling damage. We were told that removal of the popcorn ceiling and
the asbestos behind it will require us to keep her out of the immediate
area until the removal and then the post-repair testing of the air is
completed. This will create a real hardship on everyone since she is a
virtual shut-in and suffers from Alzheimer's. Is there an alternative
fix that is less invasive and would prevent any leakage of asbestos into
the air? I read that one can place a layer of wallboard over the
ceiling. But then it seems that it would be extremely risky since any
nails or bolts into the ceiling could cause leakage of asbestos. Thanks
for any advice or suggestions.