Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Compact fluorescents slow to reach full intensity

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:04:31 GMT, KLS wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:28:55 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

I've used a variety of CFLs over the past twenty-three years and some
of my Philips lamps are now more than ten years old -- frankly, short
of unscrewing them from their sockets and smashing them on the ground,
these Philips lamps just won't die.

Funny you mention this because I have an older Philips 15W CFL (the
type with the 3 parallel tubes) that has been running continuously for
a good 4 years now with no sign of fading. This thing was given out
by the local electric company in the early 1990s, so I don't know how
much, if at all, it was used then, but we put it in service in our
house in May 2003, and it runs faithfully every evening in our foyer.

Thanks for sharing this; it's seems our own experiences and those of
Don and Harry closely match. The three parallel tube design certainly
suggests this is another SL lamp, or what I consider to be the "gold
standard" of CFLs. There are few things I recommend without
hesitation, but this just happens to be one of them.

Cheers,
Paul