Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Horne Thomas Horne is offline

Default How much margin for safety is built in to the NEC?

Jeremy Scott wrote:
This has got to be some kind of record! It was a full 8 hours 48
minutes before somebody gave the compulsory "You're an idiot for
asking a question like that - Hire a pro.". Mike asked a pretty
simple question. The closest you came to answering it was saying
that posting something (that wouldn't answer his question, BTW) can't
be done.

Jeremy
Your pretty quick with the accusations. What I said was I can't give
you an understanding of the ampacity of electrical conductors in a
single news group posting. And what I suggested is that he "either
learn to do it safely yourself or higher me to do it for you." I also
said that there are indeed some circumstances were 14 gage copper can
carry more than fifteen amperes safely. I never called him an idiot and
I only offered the option of a qualified electrician if he was unwilling
to take the time to learn to do it correctly himself.

It amazes me that some people think that the rules are some mega
conspiracy to rip them off. They represent the accumulated experience
of the industry in over a hundred years of actual use and each item in
them is there because someone else learned the hard way that that rule
was needed to provide a reasonable level of safety.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison