Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default How much margin for safety is built in to the NEC?

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
Think about jumper cables. If your youth was anything like mine at one
point in time you had a clunker that you tried to jump start with a

cheap
pair of jumper cables. When you went to crank the engine over, it would
crank really slow and you kept cranking hoping it would catch. You

would
stop cranking and wait a lottle and then crank it again and finally she
would start when you grabbed the cable you burned the **** out of your

hand
because you were sucking way too many amps down a way too small wire for

way
too long of a time.

Later when you got smart, you got another set of jumper cables that had
some nice heavy gauge copper in them that will carry lots of electrons.

Now I have a pair that I have jump started a semi with a Toyota with no
problem.

Not counting the semi/Toyota part, I could have written that, myself.

I just assumed that it was a right of passage.