Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Verify a(maybe) dying diode caused by a bad capacitor???

"Jeroni Paul" wrote in message
ups.com...
By your descriptions it looks like your supply is working fine. It is
normal for some components to warm up and if it were faulty you would
see some problem with your supply. If it works, don't mess with it.

wrote:
I have just fixed an power supply by replacing a bulging capacitor.

The capacitor is connected to diode. And the diode becomes hot and
makes a black spot on the board since the faulty cap.

I check the diode with a multimeter and it tests great.

The repaired power supply( cap replaced) has been tested for several
hours and no problem yet.

Question: Is there any way to check whether the diode is working
100% ?

Thanks!

I see lots of bulging caps in the power supplies of cheapo DVD players - I
probably repair 2 or 3 a week on average. I have found it very rare indeed
for the feeding diode to actually be faulty. Usually, it's just a case of
replace the cap, and that's it. It is not at all uncommon for the diodes in
these supplies to run very hot, and discolour the board. Sometimes, if there
is room, I bend a small piece of metal around the body of the diode, with a
bit of heatsink paste in there as well, to help cool it down a bit. Bear in
mind if you do replace it that it will be a Schottky type ( I'm assuming
that this is a switch mode PSU ??? )

Arfa