Posted to alt.home.repair
professorpaul professorpaul is offline

Default Spiral staircase size

My dog loved the spiral staircase we had in a condo. He found that if
he got about 1/2 way up, he could see all sorts of good things (Lhasa
Apso/Shih Tzu mix -- serious watchdog). I did find that it was useful
to invest in TWO vacuum cleaners - one up, one down, to avoid carrying
junk up and down the spiral staircase. As to beds, furniture, etc.,
there was a railing that I could remove to lift the beds, furniture to
the second floor. A great space saver, and looked nice. I had about
1-2" clearance between the rail of the staircase and the wall, so
painting behind the rail was a bit of a PITA. Some dogs don't like to
see open space under their feet. I never had trouble with my dogs
(also a Golden), but my son's dog didn't care for the spiral
staircase, or stairs in general. Your milage will vary..