Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Why not GFCI everywhere?

wrote:

In article ,
says...

This may be reality if your local government adopts the 2008 code.
AFCI protection will be required on all 15 and 20a circuits in 2008.

[Residential, 120V]

My usual question - from your vast connection to the rumor mill, what is
the status of the new "combination" AFCIs. Do physical manifestations of
this mythical creation exist? Will they soon? Many manufacturers? Do
they actually work?

Hope the added volume brings down the cost of AFCI breakers a bit.

After 1-1-08 AFCIs must be of a new type that detects "series" arcs in
addition to "parallel" arcs that are now detected. In its omniscient
wisdom, and in an example of exquisite timing, the code requires that
these new AFCIs, last I heard nonexistent, be installed 'everywhere'. Do
you suppose the prices will go down soon?

--
bud--