Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default does radiant heat work under carpet in basement?

On 12 Mar 2007 12:58:56 -0700, wrote:

I just realized that there is an open 1ftx1ft hole in the floor for
the roughed in shower drain. There is crushed stone in the bottom . I
can probably scoop some of it out looking for insulation. How far
down is the foam board insulation usually in a foundation? If there
is none, should I not conisder radiant floors there? A friend of mine
said he had routed out plywood to run pex tubing and that was it for
his radiant floor...he hasn't hooked it up yet and it was on his
second floor. Is that an option for a basement floor (need to lay
plywood).

The insulation, if it exists, should be directly underneath the
concrete slab. And would I use radiant heat without insulation?
Sorry, I'm not *that* rich!

Cheers,
Paul