Posted to alt.home.repair
New Home Owner New Home Owner is offline

Default Moving Bathroom 3-arm sconce - Electrical Question

What you want to do is fine, get rid of that 16 gauge wire, use a piece of
#12 romex, 2 conductors with a ground. Connect that in the junction box that
will be covered and concealed ( but accessible) behind the cabinet. Then run
the new wire inside the wall to the new box you install. Connect white to
white, black to black ( I'm assuming USA wiring, other countries are
different), and ground to ground and connect the ground to the fixtures
ground screw too, in other words all the grounds get connected together to
ground the metal of the fixture. I'm assuming all the wires are copper too,
if aluminum is involved it is different.

Make sure you do all this with the power off and use approved wire nuts,
etc, I'm assuming you have basic electrical wiring knowledge, this isn't
rocket science but you do need to have the basics, if not then ask again.

--

Mike S.

Thanks, Mike.

Yes, I am in the US and using copper wire. Your explanation of
handling the grounds helped - I knew I needed to connect them
together, but wasn't quite sure if connecting BOTH to the screw in the
fixture was the correct thing to do.