Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default How to build pole barn workshop on unlevel site

"Reggie Burnett" wrote in message
. ..
On Mar 11, 8:15 pm, Reggie Burnett wrote:
[snip]
Any suggestions?

At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass: level the site.
The dozer rental, or as Jack suggested a BobCat, won't be as much as
the code will make you spend when you are planning on using a
partially exposed foundation.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm not sure where I'll get the dirt or if
I should use all gravel but I'll check into the cost of leveling the site.

Thanks again!

Do your homework! If you're going to pour on it, then use structural fills.
Dirt (whatever "dirt" really is...) is not an option. Use overburden (large
rock gravel) for the deep fills, and compact it. Use a finer gravel fill
(Item 4) for the final 6-8". If you want to get the grade to precise
levels, then use a fine screened gravel for the last inch or two. That's
not necessary though. You can get 2" and under gravel to a suitable grade
for pouring. Don't take shortcuts. Make sure to compact your fills. Fills
like this should not go in, in more than about a 1 foot lift. Do it right
and you'll end up with a slab that will withstand time. Cheat and you'll
have cracks, heaves and other problems for the life of the building.

--

-Mike-