Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Advice on buying a ladder

wrote:
I need a ladder for things like painting upstairs windows & cleaning
gutters. I've had a look at various websites, but as I'm not very
experienced or confident with ladders I've got some questions:

1. What's the difference (apart from the obvious) between a double &
triple set. Is 1 more stable or easier to manoevre than the others?

2. I've seen several 'Combination' ladders; are these a good idea -
or a bit of a 'jack of all trades'?

Triple ladders are shorter overall for storage, but are more expensive
and weigh more for a given overall length.

Nobody's mentioned yet, but if you have a very long double ladder it can
be a real sod to erect it: it you stand it up against the side of your
house while not extended, and then push up the extending section, before
long you are standing on tip toes with outstretched arms, and you can't
reach any higher. (Ever seen builders standing on the bottom of them
two rungs up, bouncing the ladder on and off the wall as they push up
the extending section?!)

And as another Screwfix Superior Standoff owner, may I add my vote for
that, too - it's excellent.

David