Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on buying a ladder

In article ,
"Jim Alexander" writes:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...

Absolutely, positively, definately whatever you do buy a ladder stay
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/530039 they make so much difference & make
you feel much more secure.

I agree with the sentiment but that model doen't impress me. Because it's
relitively flat bar is not good on an uneven wall. Have a look at the
"Screwfix superior" which additionally provides a tray. The serious point
for the OP is that a good standoff should move the points of support
outboard and allow part of the ladder to extend beyond the point of work
typically at a gutter.

That picture doesn't do it justice. There's a thick rubber tread
at each end of the wall bar. Make sure it includes the spring
clip to hold it on to the rungs -- I've seen ones on the shelf
in Wickes with that part missing. I've found the Wickes one to
be very solid and stable. It's actually a Youngmans Ladder stay,
and it's available elsewhere with an optional clip in tool tray,
although I've not found a tool tray as useful as I thought it
would be.

A look at the picture of the "Screwfix superior" leaves me very
unimpressed with the fixing to the ladder, compared to the
Youngmans/Wickes one.

--
Andrew Gabriel