Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
[email protected] beerguzzler50@yahoo.com is offline

Default does radiant heat work under carpet in basement?

On Mar 11, 1:14 pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
Notan wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Notan
notan@ddressthatcanbespammed wrote:
wrote:
I am thinking about using radiant heat panels (Roth) in an in process
finished basement. I have hydronic already in the house with a
boiler. But I would be using carpet in the basement...will these
types of radiant heat setups work well in a basement with carpeting?
I'm thinking that radiant heat *can't* be good for carpet or its
backing.

A heated floor becomes uncomfortable to walk or stand on when its
surface temperature exceeds 85 degrees F, which means a few degrees
higher than that under the carpet. Do you really suppose that 88 deg F
will be harmful?

I thought it might affect different carpets/backings, differently,
but according to Matt, I'm wrong.

I guess Matt knows!

(I'd still check with a carpet person, first.)

I researched hydronic radiant heat before building my log house. It
certainly is a good idea to do your own research though, and it isn't a
good idea to post incorrect information.

Matt- Hide quoted text -

I am not sure that the foundation was insulated underneath...is there
a way to verify? The house was built in 2000 and I don't know the
builder. The original owner wouldn't know either. Is there a way to
check/verify (without digging under the foundation of course).