Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Brian O Brian O is offline

Default Troubleshooting computers

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

"Brian O" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a good background in electronics and troubleshooting, but need
some help in how to troubleshoot microprocessor circuits/ computers.

Are
there any techniques that help to determine if a processor circuit is
working properly other than just running it, and if there is no
troubleshooting software for it? Is it just a matter of checking to see
if
data is moving? How can you tell the data is correct? Any help in
troubleshooting these types of circuits is appreciated. Thanks.

Mostly it is done by board/module swapping.

Steps that can be used (but not often used as a scope is often required):

1/ Check all supply voltages
2/ Verify the clock signal
3/ Verify all inputs
4/ Verify activity on the busses

That was pretty much my line of thinking. Sometimes the "boss" doesn't
understand that though. Thanks.
Brian