Tom Accuosti

Default OT - In Defense of Religious Marriage

In ,
Gary informed us:

|| Devout
|| Catholic. And until last week, still believing in Adam & Eve. She's
|| devastated,
|
| No kidding? Yet somehow, up to the moment that they realize their
| superstition is the same as santa clause or the easter bunny, they
| devote themselves to destroying other people's lives by constantly
| forcing their ignorance on the entire society.

Well, I think that you're making a sweeping generalization (are there
any other kind?). This woman certainly isn't out to burn books or change
the educational programs in her school district. In fact, I can't
imagine too many circumstances that would make someone do what you just
suggested. That is, unless you mean that when confronted with what
someone else beleives is evidence to the contrary, they get defensive.

I believe that most fundies (of whatever stripe) aren't so much "forcing
their ignorance" as trying to convert people to the "right" way of
thinking. Some of them do it out of hate or disgust (think "Inquisition"
or "Crusades" or "Jihaad"), but others do it out of love (e.g., Mother
Theresa in India or Father Damien with the leper colonies). It's
important to meet them on their terms sometimes, but others will not or
can not develop the capacity for understanding. Seamless and unified
ring a bell?

"I have to replace my CPU," Gary chipped in.