Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default How do you discharge a capacitor safely.

wrote:
Actually I'd like to get my hands on some 240V incandescent bulbs just
for that purpose.

I've seen some sets use as high as 940uF for the primary cap (2X470).
This is a considerable amount of power. I used to have a 75W 130V
(long life) bulb for the purpose until it got used. I actually put it
in the manifest as parts to be ordered but it is not going to happen.

How about a couple of 130V bulbs in series?

If you want 240V bulbs they're easy enough to get, I've got some
contacts in the UK I get oddball lightbulbs from and these days you can
even get them with ES bases that will fit in a standard US socket.