Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Aiwa F770 cassette from 1985

N Cook wrote:
b wrote in message
oups.com...
N Cook ha escrito:

Back to the original problem.
The belts had dropped off, obviously perished.
Now , sometimes, on using the power take off to slide up the head

carrier
one of the belts drops off. The one that links the 2 flywheels directly
together. The first motor to flywheel belt stays on.
The second belt is driven by a flat pulley driving a vaguely bulbous

pulley.
Belt dimensins of width and thickness are much the same as the originals

but
obviously the length is less than the perished one - try a longer belt ?
There may be just enough room to add a disc of plastic to the flywheel

stop it falling off or putting a static guard in place - any ideas?

I don't understand. have you replaced the belts with new? if so,
nothing should be falling off and nothing will need modifying.

-B.

both new bands and cleaned pulleys. moving from REW to play causes the band
to fall off, presumably due to a snatching / breaking / imbalance associated
with this double connection to the tape presumably at take up.
If I put in a guide then it can't fall off and will presumably self centre
back up the vague hump on the periphery of the "reverse" flywheel.
On baluster/ bulbous motor pulleys they usually have a preventer disc either
side of the bulging active part. This pulley has a larger pulley on one side
but nothing on the other in the way of a preventer.

I've come across this one occasionally, and have fixed it by adding a
fixed guard each side, not by the drivewheel but beside the belt close
to where it goes onto the wheel. That way the belt momentarily
impacting the guard does not cause problems, and steers it properly on
the wheel.

I dont know why or how this can happen, but the fix works.

NT