Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Quality of hand cut dovetails...

Sun, Mar 11, 2007, 3:57am (EDT+4) (Toller) doth
squeryeth:
snip Is that considered acceptable on hand cut dovetails, or on
replica antiques?

I don't do dovetails myself, but if I did I would certainly want
them done to a higher standard than that, at least for anything done
that wouldn't remain in the shop. However, I have seen worse on high
priced "replica", or whatever you wanted to call them, antiques - and
done on purpose. I can see duplicating, or replicating, a piece of
antique furniture - what I cannot see is "distressing" it, or otherwise
trying to make it look old. Something like that can only go down in
value as the years go by as far as I'm concerned. I think often too
that that's just another way of trying to pass off crappy work as a
"collectable" at a high price. You might not like what I make, but at
least I'll try to do decent work on it.

JOAT
It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That
was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.
- Clodpool