Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default PHONE LINE STATIC!

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 9, 3:35?pm, "Stanko" wrote:
Talking about the phone company taking responsibility for a bad line
reminded me of the 5 or 6 year period back in the 80's when we had a
problem at our house. We lived in the country, and while the township
crews "ditched" our road one summer, the phone company dug up a buried
phone line...and left it un-buried in the grass alongside the road.
(They probably intended to come back and bury it after the project was
done)

Anyway - that un-buried phone line sat in the tall grass...for a year
or so, until the township came along and mowed the grass along the
road. (Those of you who have lived in the country are familar with
this process: ...A large John Deere or Farmall tractor pulls a brush
trimmer along the road to trim the overgrowth back). Without the
driver knowing, the blade cut up this line for a mile or so.
Afterwards - every time it would rain, the phone line would become so
full of static that it was not usable.

I could see the damaged line...with shreds of wire hanging from
it....but - every time I called the phone company to explain the
problem and to explain what was causing it ---- they thought I was
nuts...and told me "We don't leave phone lines like that just unburied
alongside the road". They ditched (pardon the pun) the situation for
5 years....with continual rejections of their responsibility.

Finally - it was time for the phone company to upgrade the wiring in
our area. They ran a new phone line...BURIED IT this time
around...and lo and behold --- the phone sounded like new again.

"you tolerated that for 5 years?

I would of taken some photos and visited them or the media.

you are way too tolerant"

or maybe a creative use of a sawzall may have garnered faster a response....
;-)