Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Broken stud - Drill problem

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:38:09 -0600, Deke wrote:

I need help.

I broke all 3 studs off my manifold so had to drill out the bolt and
rethread with a tap.

When drilling out the broken bolt, I missed the center and also
drilled at the wrong angle.

Any hints at making a perfectly aligned hole right thru the center of
the bolt at the perfect angle?

Actually, what I was looking for was an answer that included making a
jig that would help keep the drill straight.

For instance, taking a 1 inch long piece of 1x2 lumber and drilling a
hole in it. Then clamping this jig to the manifold with a couple of
c-clamps and viola, you have perfect holes.

I paid $2.40 for each of the stud bolts. OUCH!

The car is an 89 model so the bolts had become one with the manifold.
And it was the other end of the manifold, not the part that attaches
to the engine.

I was willing to drill a smaller hole but the tap and drill m12-1.25
was already purchased.

thanks