Tom Accuosti

Default OT - In Defense of Religious Marriage

"Dave" wrote in message
om
| (Cliff Huprich) wrote in message
| om...
|| Do you think that codifying marriage entirely on biblical
|| principles is a good idea?
|

| The Bible is nothing but fables. Same with Qur'an. People are
| completely nutty under the surface. They are taught to be nutty. You
| can know an otherwise intelligent person for years and years and then
| finally discover their outlandish religious and superstitious views.

Taught to be nutty? I try to look at it more kindly, as they are taught
to accept on faith certain things, and as they get older, they either
stop questioning, or perhaps stop noticing contradicitons between Church
teachings and scientific ones. Or perhaps, as some do, look for
quasi-scientific explanations for justification of their faith.

And look, it's not just the Fundies, either. THe other day, our
babysitter's mother mentioned to my wife that she just found out last
week that the story of Adam & Eve and the Garden was just that: a story.
She had always beleived in the literal explanation, so much so that she
never bothered to try to reconcile in her mind anything she'd heard
about evolution, Big Bang, etc. This woman is 45 years old, has a
responsible job, and has raised several kids - nice kids, too. Devout
Catholic. And until last week, still believing in Adam & Eve. She's
devastated, BTW, so much so that she made an appt with her priest to sit
down and talk about this.

My point is that even though I've discovered this, I still dont'
consider her to be "nutty" or have "outlandish" views. Her kids will
still watch my daughter, we'll still exchange Xmas cards.

"I'm eating venison stew," he said gamely.