Posted to uk.d-i-y
r.bartlett r.bartlett is offline

Default Heating a room with split aircon unit

"R.P.McMurphy" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
s.com...

But is that what it does when it's heating? Does it chuck cold air out
of
where it would put out warm air when it's cooling (IYSWIM)?

Exactly right, hence the term "Heat Pump".
The down side is that they generally don't work at low outside
temperatures.

John

I.ve checked the unit's label, it says 1280w input power for 13000 btu
output. 13000btu is 3.8kw...seems a good way to heat my house...will defo
be using it more often from now on!

Steve

That is a rating at certain temperatures only usually around 15 deg'c
outdoor temp (and besides the Ebay Chinese specials are notoriously dodgy
with their ratings.) the lower the outdoor temperature the closer to 1:1 it
gets. However the better the manufacturer is the lower the outdoor temp can
be before that point is reached.

If it's on this list

http://www.eca.gov.uk/etl/find/_P_He...b=ResultsPanel

it's worth considering however some are still more energy efficient than
others. The best overall in my view are Daikin but even within their own
range of splits strangely some of them are more efficient than others.

The added bonus from this list is that anything on it has a 5% VAT levy.
This applies to the unit and associated building costs. Whatever that might
mean ;-)

Cheers

Richard