Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default PEX plumbing, water softener install, exposed PEX in the closet

wrote in message
s.com...
So I'd never even heard of PEX until yesterday...

snip

Plotting my installation I'm thinking I'll break the main water input
line where it trees off to all it's branches. I'll run PEX through
holes in the closet floor, up to the softener, and back down to
complete the circuit.

I realize that this isn't elegant, that ideally the input and output
of the water softener would come through the closet wall, but hey,
doing that would entail a lot of hassle now.

My question for y'all: Is there anything out and out *wrong* about
this? I've never seen PEX before, presumably because it's only in new
houses, and always behind drywall. But this PEX won't be behind
drywall.

Am I committing some kind of capital offense (code violation) by
having exposed PEX in the closet? (or is it really exposed if it's in
a closet?)

Oh, and by the way, do need to make any special provision for PEX
passing through holes in the plywood floor? Perhaps there are nice
little plastic donut fittings designed for this purpose (anybody know?
what are they called?)

I guess the corollary question is: is it OK to have exposed PEX
plumbing underneath the kitchen sink? It's not behind drywall, but it
is concealed behind a cabinet...

Thank you for your help!

My cabin is a 2 yr old double wide and the PEX under the sinks is exposed.
Shouldn't be an issue. As far as asking an inspector, I was told by one
that his job wasn't to educate the builder/ owner beyond, 'what you did is
wrong and here's why'. He said that he didn't have time in his schedule to
answer a lot of questions.