Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Broken stud - Drill problem

On Mar 10, 12:38 pm, Deke wrote:
I need help.

I broke all 3 studs off my manifold so had to drill out the bolt and
rethread with a tap.

When drilling out the broken bolt, I missed the center and also
drilled at the wrong angle.

Any hints at making a perfectly aligned hole right thru the center of
the bolt at the perfect angle?

If these studs were on a cast iron manifold your attempt at removal
was all wrong. What has worked for mechanics for years was to use the
rosebud tip on the acetylene torch and gently bring the casting up to
red heat and then quickly use your Visegrips to unscrew the stud. Even
with a broken stud you can add enough new metal with a MIG welder to
grab the broken stud with Visegrips. Sounds like you will need to buy
a new manifold now, sorry. HTH

Joe