Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Broken stud - Drill problem

Oren wrote in
:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:38:09 -0600, Deke wrote:

I need help.

I broke all 3 studs off my manifold so had to drill out the bolt and
rethread with a tap.

When drilling out the broken bolt, I missed the center and also
drilled at the wrong angle.

Any hints at making a perfectly aligned hole right thru the center of
the bolt at the perfect angle?

I soak the bolts well with liquid wrench, maybe overnight. Some light
tapping will help the liquid penetrate around the threads.

As the drilling, I use a small bit to drill the center and gradually
move up in size until I can get an extractor tool in tight. Then
slowly remove the bolt.

Not a good idea to drill the entire bolt out in one try. Start small
with the bits.

--
Oren

Use a centerpunch to start off right.

you can also buy reverse twist dril bits,so the bit acts like a screw
removed while it's drilling a hole.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik