Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Broken stud - Drill problem

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:38:09 -0600, Deke wrote:

I need help.

I broke all 3 studs off my manifold so had to drill out the bolt and
rethread with a tap.

When drilling out the broken bolt, I missed the center and also
drilled at the wrong angle.

Any hints at making a perfectly aligned hole right thru the center of
the bolt at the perfect angle?

I'm sure he's right about starting small.

Havent' done this ever but maybe if you put the manifold back on, you
could use it to center and keep straight the larger drills, or at
least the largest one.

I don't know -- does your replacement bolt have to be as big as
original. Would making it a bit smaller be an advantage or cause its
own problems? If it came loose could you then put the full-size or
would that require a lot of extra work? Probably this whole paragraph
is a bad idea, but you could ask a good mechanic.