Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Any of you done your own kitchen demolition when remodeling??

On Mar 3, 10:08 am, "vic" wrote:
I just ordered some new kitchen cabinets for an L shaped kitchen, and
would like to save $600 by doing my own cabinet removals.
I would like to ask those who have done their own demolition when they
remodeled their kitchens. Would they do it over again? Any tips to
make it easier?

Did a complete demo of the kitchen cabinets when the wife and I redid
the kitchen in 2005.

First, good equipment is essential: heavy-duty gloves, eye protection
and at least two good prybars. Maybe a sawzall or rotary zip tool for
the really stubborn stuff. And a couple of people to help you with the
top cabinets.

Questions to consider before beginning: what kind of plumbing and
electrical are you going to have to work around to remove the
cabinets? How old are the cabinets and how were they mounted to the
wall? Do you want to use the cabinets elsewhere or give them to
someone who can, or are you going to trash/recycle them?

For example, the upper cabinets in my kitchen were mounted directly to
the cinder block firewall between our house and the neighbor, and they
were mounted with masonry cut nails. Bolts would have made it nearly
impossible to get the cabinets down intact.

We needed to get them down intact because we were donating them to a
local organization that provides building materials to people who are
struggling economically. It was well worth the extra time and care to
get them out without damaging them.

Be prepared also that things behind the cabinets may be in worse shape
than you expected when you are done. Factor in time to repair and
patch, and really spend the time to prep the walls properly to make
your new cabinet installation as easy as possible. Don't spend time
worrying about seams and paint, but definitely make the wall flat,
anticipate curvature and bumps that may get in the way of the cabinets
mounting flush to the wall.

Oh, and definitely, definitely definitely map our your studs or other
anchoring locations, and try doing some test fitting to plan your
screw points before you hang your first cabinet. It will save you
loads of headaches later.

As to the greater question, would I do my own kitchen remodel again?
In a heartbeat. There are kitchens built for looks, and kitchens built
for cooks. Most homes have the fomer; I want to make sure mine is the
latter.