Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time."

"justadilettante" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

Around here, HD has the best prices on pretty much all
electrical/plumbing stuff.

Glad I don't live "around here" where you are. I guess you didn't see my
post from last Saturday about big box store pricing. My Taco circulator
would have been $86 from HD, but was $61.48 from the plumbing supply
house. A light fixture that was $10.99 at HD was $8.99 at a local
hardware/lumber/home store.

You shouldn't expect much from big box store employees. Those stores get
the quality of employees they pay for, and then treat them poorly.

I worked at Lowe's part-time for awhile. Scary thing is they have trouble
hiring because about 60% of people who apply can't pass the employment
test! But with what they pay and the insane way they schedule shifts, I'd
say the fact that they can attract any employees who can walk and talk is
amazing. Getting people who actually care would be a miracle. But,
unbelieveably, they do have ongoing required training - it's just that
many of the employees don't give a damn.

I also worked at HD full-time for a VERY short period. Their employment
practices make Lowe's look great! I was on the floor for two weeks with
NO training, and it took over a week to meet my department manager.
They're so nuts about overtime that they have employees lined up at the
time card machine 10 minutes before their shifts are over so that they
don't go 5 minutes over their regular time.

The idiots who manage those stores are too cheap to do something free and
simple: Tell new hires to NOT put on their little vests for the first 15-20
minutes of their shifts, so they won't be distracted by anyone who needs
help. Now, pick an aisle and browse slowly. Some of these employees don't
know which END of the store has certain things, much less which aisle.