Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30 lp13-30 is offline

Default electric fence?

I have never heard of an electric fence using 12 volts. I have a regular
electric fence which is the only way I can keep my two Houdinis in the
yard. I spent a bunch of money on a Radio Fence, which was pretty much
wasted. After they touch the electric fence wire one time they will not
come near it again--period. My late uncle had a fence company in Dallas
years ago, and told me he used to put in electric fences, and lend the
customer the charger for several days, then go pick it up afterwards, as
it was no longer necessary. Check for any local regulations before you
do anything first. The chargers are not expensive at all, you can either
buy insulators, also inexpensive, or rig your own with pvc pipe/fittings
to suit your needs. Pretty much any thin wire will work.If any busybody
tells you that this is "animal cruelty", ask them if the little zap they
get once or twice is worse than them being hit by a car, which is
usually what eventually happens . Larry .