Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Trowel handle in the freezer

The freezer won't help.

If the handle was installed with some glue/epoxy you might be able
to get it to release with heat. Immerse in boiling water for 5 or
10 minutes, catch the cheap trowel in a vise and pull hard.

Most good trowels have a shaped front end and a nut on the back
end. When they get a bit loose ( a real frustration when using
the trowel) I have found that filling up the hole with Durham's
and reinstalling the handle while it is wet gets the handle good
and tight again while still being able to remove if required.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"JWBH" wrote in message
The wooden handle on my garden trowel has partially rotted away.
Not having a lathe or anything I have just bought a very cheap
trowel which does though have quite a nice wooden handle that I
want to use .

The metal part of the new trowel will just not come out of the
handle, however hard I pull.

My idea now is to put the whole thing in the freezer and then
lower the handle *only* into some hot water to take advantage of
the expansion difference between the metal part being cold and
the wooden handle being hot.

But will freezing the wooden handle damage the wood please? Or
grateful for any other ideas, thanks.