Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Trowel handle in the freezer

"JWBH" wrote in message
The wooden handle on my garden trowel has partially rotted away. Not
having a lathe or anything I have just bought a very cheap trowel which
does though have quite a nice wooden handle that I want to use .

The metal part of the new trowel will just not come out of the handle,
however hard I pull.

My idea now is to put the whole thing in the freezer and then lower the
handle *only* into some hot water to take advantage of the expansion
difference between the metal part being cold and the wooden handle being
hot.

But will freezing the wooden handle damage the wood please? Or grateful
for any other ideas, thanks.

Freezing will not damage the wood unless it is wet through. I don't know if
wood will expand and contract with temperature though.

Tim w