Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Global Warming and CO2 levels

dennis@home wrote:

From http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/faqs.jsp#link1

"Q What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games
console? Do I still need a licence?

A You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our
Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need
a licence."

No mention of disabling tuners or any other nonsense. You need a license
if you use equipment to receive broadcasts - that is all. In this age all
sorts of equipment is now capable of receiving TV, yet you would not
routinely buy a license for your mobile phone, your PDA, or your computer.

So what do you think he is going to check for when he visits you?

It would be up to TVL to prove that you are guilty, not for you to prove
you are innocent. You can quite legitimately invite an inspector in and
say here is a TV - it is not used for receiving broadcasts (or for that
matter tell them to go away).

You do need a license if you have a TVcard in you PC BTW unless you can
prove you don't use it (then why do you have it?).

Perhaps you bought a media PC and it came with it - that does not mean
it is connected to an aerial or for that matter used. Just because it is
there, does not require you to have a license. Please read the quote
from TVL I posted above - they will "confirm that you do not need a
license".

--
Cheers,

John.