Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Global Warming and CO2 levels

dennis@home wrote:

(Cue the standard "Yes you do", "No you don't" argument, which I shall
completely ignore.)

Yup, here we go... again...

If its a TV then by definition it is capable of receiving TV transmissions
so should be licensed.

If it has the receiver disabled in some way it is not a TV so doesn't need a
license.

Its pretty easy IMO.

You would have thought, and yet you just managed to get it wrong ;-)

As someone said gluing a panel over the aerial socket may be enough,
removing the tuner should be.

From http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/faqs.jsp#link1

"Q What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my
games console? Do I still need a licence?

A You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our
Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not
need a licence."

No mention of disabling tuners or any other nonsense. You need a license
if you use equipment to receive broadcasts - that is all. In this age
all sorts of equipment is now capable of receiving TV, yet you would not
routinely buy a license for your mobile phone, your PDA, or your computer.

--
Cheers,

John.