Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill Jeffrey Bill Jeffrey is offline

Default Printers

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Snap Whipcrack.............." wrote in message
Every time I want to print something the damn ink head is dried up. I
don't print much. So I have to buy a $50.00 print cartridge every time
I want to print 2 pages. I think I should get a rebate on the ink left
in the old cartridge. The cleaning cycle most of the time don't clear it
up.
I'm thinking of going back to dot matrix. Do lasers have the same
drying up problem from lack of use?
I would call an ink jet printer a failed invention if it can't work on
demand. Maybe they need a law suite slapped on them.

Is it by any chance an Epson ...??

Arfa

Yup, Epsons are famous for this. I trashed a very nice Epson a couple
weeks ago because of this problem. No amount of cleaning will help it,
and I'm talking about much more aggressive cleaning than just running
the CLEAN cycle.. The problem with Epson is that the print nozzles are
part of the machine, and hence are not replaceable (in a practical
sense). Other mfrs, including HP, put the print head in the cartridge.
The nozzles can still dry out, but at least replacing the cartridge gets
you clean new print heads.

I read somewhere - I think on the HP website - that if you are not going
to use your printer for a while, you can prevent dried out nozzles by
putting your cartridge in a zip-lock baggie with a piece of moist paper
towel. Of course, some printers (is it Epson again?) won't let you
reinsert a cartridge once you have pulled it ...

Can you still buy a dot matrix printer???

Bill