Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Non-working outlet

T.J. wrote:
Hi
I have a problem that confuses me. I have 1 circuit going to a
junction box and in the junction box there is a line going down to 1
outlet which works fine, the there is another line coming from the
same junction box on the same circuit going down to another outlet.
The problem is the second outlet was working and somebody plugged
something in to the outlet and tripped the circuit breaker. They then
reset the circuit breaker and now the second outlet will not work
however the first outlet does work fine. What could be causing this?
Thanks

Did you measure the voltage at the wires on the defective outlet, or
just plug something into the outlet to determine if it worked? You must
take some measurements rather than assume it is reaching a particular
point. That goes for the splice in the "Junction box" as well.