Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] alan200@iinet.net.oz is offline

Default GOING small

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:51:43 -0800, charlieb
wrote:

I earlier asked about why some people want to Go BIG
and questioned the need for a lathe in the Stubby
range, capable of turning 600 pound chunks of wood
into enormous objects. I understand better now.

My main wood lathe is a Woodfast Cobra and I do most things on
that, however I also have a small Taiwan cast bed lathe weighing about
20 kg which I bought specifically to cart around in my caravan so I
can turn when travelling. Usually make pens ( my el cheapos cost
about 30c to make and I can afford to give them away. Very good as a
"friend maker" when stopping overnight in a van park, although I much
prefer stopping in the bush.

I also do more metalwork than woodturning and have a Hafco 12x36 (in
imperial) geared head lathe. At least 90% of the work I do on it is
1/2" or less in diameter, much of that being between 1/8 & 1/4 for
model locomotives. I am planning to go on a trip east for a few
months so I have recently splurged on a mini metal lathe, a 6x10,
which will be fine for brass & aluminium.

Though it seems crazy, I think I may break out the
little Unimat, make some little tools and have a
try at GOING small.

That's the great thing about turning - so many
ways to go and so many ways to get there.

Fun this wood working thing.

charlie b

Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz.
VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174