Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Mitchell Clive Mitchell is offline

Default Lighting ring off, circuit breaker still on

In message . com,
IanMayo writes
Hi all,
got a strange situation at home:
the upstairs lighting ring is off (no lights works), but the circuit
breaker covering that ring is still on (all the circuit breakers are
still closed).

We're in a 12 yr old conventional house, and had our fuse box moved
about 9 months ago. We have no other electrical problems - to my
knowledge.

My wife replaced a bulb the bathroom last night, after which the lights
worked fine. This morning the lights just "went off".

How far was the fuse box moved. Is there a big joint box for all the
original wires as a result or was it only moved slightly?

It could be one of the following:-

Bad breaker. Rare but worth checking.
Loose wire in breaker.
Bad joint from when consumer unit was moved.
Detached or broken wire in ceiling rose. Suspect the one associated
with the lamp change.

When investigating these things turn the whole consumer unit off and
remember that live connections will still be present at the main
isolators.

This is the sort of fault that it would be handy to test for with a set
of suitable test lamps, however, that would involve poking in amongst
live connections and isn't recommended for anyone not well experienced
in electrical work.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com