Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Vise recommendation needed

RayV wrote:
I am ready to build my first workbench. I bought a Taunton book and
will probably be making a 'traditional' style bench, but it will most
likely have a MDF or similar top. Where I am stuck is the vise(s), is
there a vise that someone can recommend that is between
http://tinyurl.com/2smz6c
and
http://tinyurl.com/38wryh
I don't think I need the quick release feature and I could easily be
convinced to build the vise using a bench screw but they seem to be as
high priced as the vises.

I don't expect this to be the last bench I build just one good enough
to hold pieces firmly until I develop my skills.

Ray, I saw one recently that would probably fit that description ... I'm
contemplating building it myself. It uses pipe clamps in lieu of
standard vises and a 'v' arrangement for holding wood for working on the
edge. You might want to look at it as an 'on the cheap' (but sturdy and
versatile) alternative to massive European style benches.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2625

You MAY need a Taunton subscription. I decided it was worth the price of
admission, YMMV.

Bill

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000722-3, 03/08/2007
Tested on: 3/9/2007 2:39:17 AM