Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Cord for Cordless DeWalt tools

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:02:59 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

CW wrote:

The problem in both cases is going to be the transformer. To handle amps
like that, it is going to be WAY to big to fit in the tool and way to
expensive to be practicle.

For this sort of application you don't need a big linear-type supply.
The motor doesn't really care about noisy power, so it would probably be
possible to fit a switching supply into there.

However, one that can provide almost 40A at 18V isn't going to be common
or cheap.

The 38 amps came from assuming the motor was drawing equivalent to a 6
amp corded drill. A 6 amp is toward the beefy end of the corded
spectrum. My milwaukee 1/2" is 5.5 and my ryobi 3/8" is 4.5 amps. So
I think you're looking at less than 30 amps at 18V. I should think
you'd want to know what the actual draw is for all of the tools you
plan on using it with, and hopefully the supply has an overload
protection so you don't blow it out.

-Leuf