Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Lighting ring off, circuit breaker still on

On 8 Mar 2007 22:54:49 -0800 someone who may be "IanMayo"
wrote this:-

the upstairs lighting ring is off (no lights works),

I very much doubt if your lighting circuit is a ring.

but the circuit
breaker covering that ring is still on (all the circuit breakers are
still closed).

Then there is likely to be a broken conductor somewhere between the
circuit breaker and the first light on the circuit.

My wife replaced a bulb the bathroom last night, after which the
lights worked fine. This morning the lights just "went off".

Then the broken conductor may be a joint in the light fitting. It
may have been pushed together by inserting the bulb and then come
apart.

First turn off the whole installation at the main switch, not the
circuit breaker. Then check the light fitting for broken wires.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh