Posted to rec.woodworking
Guy Berthiaume Guy Berthiaume is offline

Default Cord for Cordless DeWalt tools

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:17:23 -0800, "WoodButcher"
wrote:

"Guy Berthiaume" wrote in message
.. .
snip
I presume they don't offer this product because it would eat into their
very lucrative battery business... understandable.

Does anyone know if there is a third-party that makes a corded power
attachment for cordless tools?

The battery business *is* very profitable and the manufacturers have locked
out 3rd parties by patenting the battery - drill interface/connection. This is
why you don't find 3rd party batteries either. They can't stop you from
getting your battery packs rebuilt, but by welding the cases together some
manufacturers make it more difficult.

I know it ain't a Dewalt but Ryobi is the only one who I'm aware of who
makes a corded 3/8" drill with a clutch. For infrequent use it may do ok.
http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Clutch-D.../dp/B000FKIWD2

Art

The problem that I have is that I have a set of DeWalt tools: Hammer
Drill, Jig Saw, Circular Saw, Reciprocating Saw, and Worklight.

It sounds like I am going to have to design my own converter. I can
take a dead battery, remove the cells, and connect it to an 18 volt
power supply. I was hoping someone had already done this, so I
wouldn't have to think about it.

Oh well, this is a hobby for me so I might as well take the time...

Thanks for your responses. At least now I know what direction to go.

Guy
--

Guy Berthiaume

"With, without,