Posted to alt.home.repair
HomeDecoy HomeDecoy is offline

Default rail/track lighting for kitchen

On Mar 8, 12:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"DLK" wrote in message

ps.com...

Does anyone have suggestions for specific rail or track systems/
fixtures for lighting a kitchen?

I am interested in replacing my current fluorescent fixture and
installing a curved rail/track system (mainly for esthetic reasons),
but I am concerned that it won't provide enough general light. I have
seen some kitchens with track systems that look dark. It has been
suggested that I use wall washer fixtures and fixtures with a metal
interior to redirect light. The kitchen is 9-10 ft long and I do not
need pendants.

Also, I thought that a fixture with transformer that could be mounted
anywhere would be best because the hole for the wiring is off-center
in a concrete ceiling. That way, the track could be centered and the
transformer could be placed slightly off to the side. I can't think
of any other type of fixture that would address that irregularity with
the wiring and still be centered in the room.

Low voltage or line voltage? Halogen bulbs?

Any suggestions on brands, types of systems, heads are greatly
appreciated.
Thanks.

I haven't seen every track lighting installation on earth (yet), but most of
what I've seen leaves me unimpressed. The lighting is uneven, and depending
on how they're located, people see the light bulbs, which at least to me is
a sin. I want to see light, not bulbs. I'd rather have light reflected onto
surfaces by closely mounted pendants or wall sconces.- Hide quoted text -

For what it's worth:
I too am not a big fan of track lighting. Depending on how high your
ceilings are, halogen track lighting might be too bright and blinding
for you. Some track lighting relies on odd bulbs that end up costing a
lot, or put off too much heat for smaller kitchens. (Some halogen
bulbs realllllly heat up) In my kitchen I have counter top lighting
which use par halogen bulbs (they can be dimmed and don't use much
wattage while still giving me good light), and a ceiling fan with a
dome in the middle of the kitchen that use the energy type, but can't
be dimmed) Go into your kitchen and figure out where you need to see
what you're doing and where that light needs to come from. If you have
very bright lights that are slightly behind you, you will end up
casting a shadow on what you really need to see. The wall lights
might give off too many shadows or not provide you with enough light
if the ceilings are high and the light doesn't bounce around very
well. Most people I know have gone with layered lighting to address
each area they need lighting in, and then general/mood lighting. Keep
in mind that some bulbs do not allow for dimming devices, and find out
how easy it is to replace bulbs in your fixtures as some really are a
pain in the ass. If you have lower ceilings, get multi-light fixtures
that bounce the light up and if possible, you can put them on dimmers
so they become general/mood lighting as well. When getting a multi-
light fixture, or fixtures with smaller glass shades, try to pick up
an extra shade just in case you ever break one.